Pages

Friday 11 May 2018

Session 7: Google Hnagout

I haven't done a video call since my daughter graduated and came back from Purdue University, USA. She was a young 17 year old on a 4-year full tennis scholarship. During her years there,  I skyped her on every available weekend to talk about her educational progress, watch her sporting achievements, give motherly advice and just to have a natter so that she could feel secure in the knowledge that I was only a video call away if she needed me.

So today's session was familiar but different. It was different in that I had a conversation with all my DFI colleagues and our  course leaders in google Hangout. I haven't done a video call with so many people in one place simultaneously. It's an online open forum where we can talk,  see each other and the  work (document / map) we were talking about through screen-sharing.

The whole conversation can also be recorded.

Reflection
What did I learn that increased my understanding of Manaiakalani Kaupapa and pedagogy?
I can see that this would work well in the classroom. It would encourage students to take turns, listen carefully, speak clearly, and be coherent. They would also use key competencies skills such as Managing self, Relating to others, Participating and contributing, and many more other skills required to undertake any activity where a lot of people communicate at the same time such as in the Hangout.

What did I learn that could improve my confidence, capability or workflow as a professional?
It would be a useful tool to use in my school. The senior block is located a fair distance from some of the teachers in the junior school. It's now clear to me that Hangout will be much easier, faster and efficient to communicate with a teacher from a classroom that's at least 200m from my classroom, rather than emailing, or physically meet. It's a much more effective method to achieve more in less time.

What did I learn that could be used with my learners?
It's great for group conferencing, oral language, group work, one-to-one conferencing, research, feedback, monitoring and many more.

What did I learn that could improve my confidence, capability or workflow in my personal life?
I can connect and Hangout with my husband and adult children in one place at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment