Pages

Monday 12 March 2018

Session 2: Google Sheet: SUM and AVERAGE

DFI: Session 2

I am so pleased to have just learnt how to get the sum and average of all data on google sheet. In the past I have totaled all the scores of every individual student using the online calculator. It was a very long and laborious process. Thanks to google sheet, I can now get the computer to do it for me instantly, by highlighting the row and clicking on Function: SUM. Magic!

Professionally this function is important and makes me more efficient as a teacher as well as a digital user. This knowledge now leaves me with more time to do other tasks. No more wasted time.

I can use this function with my students. It can be used in Maths, particularly Statistics. I get my students to use google sheets and the accompanying charts to record their Maths score. They can see through their chart how well they are doing. Now they can get the SUM and AVERAGE of their scores on a weekly/monthly basis.


I can use this function in my personal life especially in budgeting and household expenditure.


This image shows the data I created on google sheets.




2 comments:

  1. You are absolutely right Teresa! All these little tips makes life easier for us. Knowing how to use these digital tools effectively is critical. I wonder what will be your next 'WOW' moment in our Digital Fluency Intensive class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have found a really powerful way to encourage your children to take ownership of their Math scores. They can compare their scores, on a month by month basis, throughout the year, in a really visual way. Great job Teresa.

    ReplyDelete