Pages

Wednesday 18 March 2020

Focus for the Manaiakalani Collaborative Inquiry

Task: Collaborate with your school’s leadership team and colleagues to identify areas where your inquiry will make a powerful contribution to wider school and cluster goals.

During a discussion with the leadership team we decided that due to the poor outcome of our students' achievement in Maths, my inquiry should focus on the year 5-8 senior team where the results showed a gap in the students' learning and hopefully my teaching as inquiry method will make a difference to our students' learning.

This focus aligns with Manaiakalani's Collaborative Inquiry number 6, 'lift the achievement in maths for all students years 1-13'.

My team and I want to find out what caused the gap in our data at the end of 2019.

There will be a lot of issues I will look into such as our school structure, school resources and equipment, teacher understanding of content and curriculum, the existence of a differentiated teaching programme in our school, professional training, delivery of the full maths curriculum, engagement by students and teachers, teacher reflection and evaluation of appropriate teaching practice, student voice and so forth.

Once we have decided what factors contributed to our poor student academic outcomes, we need to put in place an intervention plan that resolves these issues.

For an investigation to be successful I need the support of the teachers. I put this idea forward to our colleagues in the staff meeting and they were happy to support me in this Inquiry.






1 comment:

  1. Hi Teresa,

    I like your idea of looking into various potential factors that contributed to poor student academic outcomes, especially when you mentioned about “school structure”, ”school resources and equipment”, “teaching programme”, "teacher understanding", etc. I can see that you are trying to find out the patterns from a vantage point. I will be excited to see how (with which tools) you are gonna provide us with a clear picture of each of the factors, and how you are gonna make a connection between the factors and students’ poor academic outcomes. Thank you.

    Allen

    ReplyDelete